Aquatic Center Announcement
February 16, 2012
YWCA Members and Friends,
The YWCA has been providing aquatics programming for almost 100 years in the St. Joseph community, so it is with great sadness that we announce that the Aquatics Center will close on June 1, 2012.
This has been a very difficult decision because of the impact it has on people – our customers and our staff, but it is the right decision. The YWCA has limited discretionary dollars and with recent grant cutbacks it is necessary that those dollars be redirected to critical services that are uniquely provided by the YWCA (domestic violence, sexual assault, childcare, teen pregnancy/parenting, child abuse/neglect prevention, etc.).
Over the years, we have worked hard to make the Aquatics Center self-supporting. We have increased revenue through new partnerships and programming and increased fees. We have reduced costs by cutting back service hours and restructuring staffing, but the operating costs continue to greatly exceed generated revenue.
We will continue to aggressively pursue a potential partner(s) to assume operation of the Aquatics Center. We will do our best to maintain the facility and retain adequate staffing to continue current programming through June 1. Upon closing, all customers will receive reimbursement for unused “punch cards” or pro-rated reimbursement for contracted “plans”.
Jean G. Brown
YWCA Executive Director
- 2014 Women of Excellence Nomination Forms Now Available!
- Highlights from our first 125 years in St. Joseph
- Compassion = emotion + action
- Surviving – And Thriving – Without Heat
- Steve’s Centerpiece Challenge
- Women of Excellence
- Women of Excellence 2013
- Gardener’s Festival Order Forms
- Women of Excellence Nominations Due March 15
- Dr. Dara Richardson-Heron, M.D., CEO named keynote speaker of Women of Excellence Awards