One of the programs supported by Women of Excellence…
Herlinda Perez is 46 years old, and originally from El Salvador. She saw a flyer about the YWCA’s breast cancer awareness program posted in a store. She had been having a pain on her right breast for awhile, and finally one day she called the number on the flyer. Kendall, our bilingual educator, helped Herlinda make an appointment at the free clinic and provided transportation to get there. Once she was at the doctor’s appointment, Herlinda learned that she had a lump on her breast and that she needed to have a mammogram. YWCA staff took her to her mammogram appointment, and helped her understand the results in her native language. In the end, the doctors decided that it was (thankfully) just a false alarm. She will go back for another mammogram in six months to follow up. Thanks to the YWCA ENCOREplus program she can have peace of mind now, knowing that the lump is not cancerous.
The YWCA ENCOREplus program is one of the programs you help support by attending the Women of Excellence Awards. Reservations are $35 and can be made by calling the YWCA at 816.232.4481.
- Highlights from our first 125 years in St. Joseph
- Compassion = emotion + action
- Surviving – And Thriving – Without Heat
- Steve’s Centerpiece Challenge
- Women of Excellence
- Women of Excellence 2013
- Gardener’s Festival Order Forms
- Women of Excellence Nominations Due March 15
- Dr. Dara Richardson-Heron, M.D., CEO named keynote speaker of Women of Excellence Awards
- Taking Nominations for Kelsey Beshears Racial Justice Award